iNaturalist is the best kind of social media app – one that has the user go out into the big, broad, beautiful world, look around and discover things in nature. Using the built-in camera, the user takes photographs of the life they happen upon while walking around the backyard, hiking, bird watching, etc. The app will help to identify the animals and plants you happen upon. These images and experiences can then be shared with a community of over 400,000 scientists and naturalists right through the app itself. Your quality data will help scientists better understand and protect nature.
Providing users with a map and in-app GPS, it displays all manner of vegetation and wildlife that exist in that area, as recorded by other users. I like the collaborative interaction of this app and the building of a community with a common purpose. I don’t know about you, but I would love to see young people start using their phones for interacting with the world.
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
- Discover species new to you both near and far
- Record your own observations and share them with the community
- Receive suggestions and crowdsourced identifications of what you’ve seen
- Discuss and help others identify what they’ve seen
- Follow projects comprised of smaller communities and fellow citizen scientists passionate about a particular place and/or species
Members can view more content, create wishlists, and much more!
Click here to become a member!